Pages

Chapters 1-8

Wednesday, January 8, 2014

Intransitive I AM statements and their significances

Seven Stand Alone
 “I AM” Statements


   (Well doesn't that title today just reach out and slap you!) Okay a  more attention grabbing title might be "Why Jesus used bad grammar".

   When I see something interesting in the Bible, because I know that it is a wonderfully inspired and holy book I look for what are the significant implications of what I see. For instance, years ago, I did a study on the I AM statements which Jesus made (see the previous post on this), in which Jesus declared, "I AM" and then listed descriptions of who He was (I am the Bread of Life, Good Shepherd, etc.)
   During that study, I also knew that sometimes Jesus simply said, "I AM" with no direct object. To say "I am" and have no direct object could be considered bad grammar. We would say, "I am tired." "I am a teacher." or "I am going to tell Jesus he used bad grammar." Both the transitive and intransitive statements are used precisely seven times each (an undoubtedly intentional purpose in John's gospel).

    I call these the Stand Alone "I AM" Statements or sometimes if I want to sound more theological, I refer to them as the intransitive I AM statements. As I pen this, I don't think I ever came up with the significance of each statement, but because I know the Bible, I am convinced that there are some, so let us explore them today. 

   The first record intransitive I AM statement is found in John 4:26 
“I AM that speaks to you.” .................... John 4:26
He is Personal in our relations.
    In the Old Testament, Jehovah God would reveal Himself and distinguish Himself from the other "so-called" gods who were made out of wood and would not speak or do anything. 
Read Ps. 115
1 Not unto us, O Lord, not unto us, But to Your name give glory, Because of Your mercy, Because of Your truth. 2 Why should the Gentiles say, "So where is their God?" 3 But our God is in heaven; He does whatever He pleases. 4 Their idols are silver and gold, The work of men's hands. 5 They have mouths, but they do not speak; Eyes they have, but they do not see; 6 They have ears, but they do not hear; Noses they have, but they do not smell; 7 They have hands, but they do not handle; Feet they have, but they do not walk; Nor do they mutter through their throat. 8 Those who make them are like them; So is everyone who trusts in them. 9 O Israel, trust in the Lord; He is their help and their shield.
   When Jesus came to the woman at the well, she was surprised that a Jewish man would speak  to her. Today, many would be surprised that the God of the universe would speak to them, myself included. As I write this, I am in awe that God forgave my sins and puts up with me. I love Him and He "walks with me and He talks with me and He tells me I am His own.
   Instead of His presence and his voice, we often forsake Him, the one true God, for idols that we have made and as we have made gods in our own image and likeness, they have mouths but cannot speak, ears but do not hear. Like them, we have no knowledge to speak of and no discernment with which to hear. We need to see God and His presence and His speaking to us. 

“I AM, do not fear” ................................ John 6:20
He is Perfect in love.
    The next time Jesus uses the I AM phrase (in Greek, Ego eime, but in Hebrew it is "Yahweh"), it is in the context of fear. When Adam first sinned and then heard the sound of God walking in the cool of the day, he immediately turned to fear. When an angel of the Lord appears, the first words he would say is "fear not."
   Jesus words to the disciples as he walked on the storm is "I AM, do not be afraid" (Hebrew Names Version). The significance here is that Jesus, the great I AM, is able to walk on the storms of life and provide deliverance for us.
   There is an innate fear that we should have of God, and even Proverbs states that such reverential fear is the key to all wisdom, and yet all the while, Jesus reaffirms to us that perfect love casts out all fear.

“If you do not believe that I AM.” ....... John 8:24
He is Preeminent in judgment.
   Thirdly, John's gospel reveals the "I AM" in the context of faith. The Jewish doubters cast aspersions upon Christ's physical father, not even realizing that more important than that was Who His heavenly Father was. 
   It is in fact the lack of faith, the unbelief, that Jesus was the "I AM" of old that would actually be the source of their destruction and death in their sins. By sheer faith in Christ and his blood atonement, Jesus will declare in their presence three times (8:24, 28, 58) in this singular chapter that He is "I AM", that is Yahweh God. Here, he declares that refusal to believe will cause them to miss God's presence in their lives and ultimately, their presence in the eternal life of God. 

“…you will know that I AM” ................ John 8:28
He is Prophecy fulfilled.
   The power of the cross and resurrection is the significance of the fourth I AM. The lifting up of Christ on the cross was crucial, for on that day, the true Passover took upon himself the sins of the world. Prophetically, Jesus says that on that day that He is lifted up, they will know that He is who He said He was. Some may have come to salvation on that day, while others in full knowledge, rejected Him still. 
   The Bible says today is the day of salvation. I believe in every person's life, there will be a point of decision in which they can accept or reject God. When your faith goes from believing to knowing, it is the time when you truly experience salvation.

“Before Abraham was, I AM” ............... John 8:58
He is Perpetual in existence.
    The most declarative statement Jesus made of his deity, stating that he was Yahweh even before and greater than the Jewish spiritual father Abraham, prompted the Jewish people to pick up stones to hurl at this blasphemous "prophet" as they surmised Jesus to be. And yet, He passed through their midst. 
   C.S. Lewis put it perhaps the most succinctly: Jesus was either a liar, lunatic or the Lord He claimed to be. Jesus was from the beginning and has always been the Alpha and Omega, beginning and the end. 

“You may believe that I AM” ............. John 13:19
He is Provider of Salvation.
   The context here is faith in times of doubt. Previously, in John 8:24, the I AM statement was doubt in times of judgment. When Judas would reveal himself as the traitor he was, Jesus wanted the disciples to know that this too was a part of God's plan. When we have times that try our souls and test our faith, God wants us to hold on to our faith in the intransitive statement of "I AM."

Jesus said to them, “I AM” .................... John 18:5
He is Power over All.
   The final I AM declarative statement shows that Jesus is more powerful than man's armies or soldiers, more powerful than betrayal and that through it all, the great I AM can cast any opposition onto their backs. God is sovereign and no one can oppose Him. He could have called more than twelve legions of angels (Matthew 26:53) can at the mere utterance of His name, I  AM, cause soldiers to fall. One day, just as Judas and the soldiers fell, every knee shall bow, every tongue shall confess He is Lord.



No comments:

Post a Comment